Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum IndexRyk Brown's Genealogy Forum
For genealogical discussions of any family listed at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rykbrown/index.htm

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Bridgman Web Page and Database Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum Index -> BRIDGMAN
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Bridgman Web Page and Database Update Reply with quote

Exclamation The Bridgman web page and database at Rootsweb (Ancestry.com) have just received a long overdue update. If you find any errors or ommissions please post them here and I will make the corrections as soon as possible.
cliffordbarnard
Ancestors? My grandparents had parents?

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Bridgman Reply with quote

Hello Ryk
I am Cliff Barnard and this is my first Blog attempt so I will be brief so you can tell me if I got it to work.
My Bridgman ancestor is Mary Marcia married to Sinclair Barnard. Mary Marcia shows on your Bridgman Chart. I was born on the Locust Lawn farm and knew my Great Aunt Charlotte well. She wrote out a Bridgman History for me 70 years ago with the Sarah Carpenter error. Sarah was actually married to John Pettit and they are tthe parents of Deborough the wife of Thomas Bridgman'
I have very complete info on Thomas' descendants and other info. You will have to tell me what you want.

Cliff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff

Sorry for the delay in replying. Please see the global announcement above for more information.

Thank you very much for your posting. Thank you for clearing up the confusion around the correct identity of Sarah Carpenter. Your explanation makes complete sense. Thank you also for providing the middle name for Mary Bridgman.

As far as what information on the descendants of Thomas would be helpful, it's hard for me to answer without knowing what you have. I guess I don't know what I don't know, if you understand what I mean. May I suggest that what might be helpful is for you to have a look at my Bridgman page here: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rykbrown/bridgman.htm
Go to the descendants of Thomas and compare what is shown there with your own notes. If you feel you have additional information please feel free to post it here or if it requires an email attachment please send it to ryk.heather@cogeco.ca . Please note that I am only following the descendant lines who bear the Bridgman surname, not the daughter lines.

Thanks
Ryk
DrewBenfield

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Bridgmans Reply with quote

Hi Ryk,

I really have to thank you! Very Happy My 9yr old daughter found the "The Bridgman Families in Ontario, Canada" website when searching for my Great Grandfather -- Charles Saunders Bridgman, who is listed under the "Research Leads" -> "York County (and Middlesex)". This webpage has given me countless hints into my heritage and origins (esp Devon, England).

I do have some updates for you ... but am having problems with the length post ("Registered member must have at least 5 postings to post any URL/Website Link").

Thanks,
Drew
DrewBenfield

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Jonathan Bridgman from Reaseach Leads Reply with quote

Hi Ryk,

Since the last post worked (which helped me figure out the problem - the "Ancestry" URL -- can't use COM) ... I'll try again to give you some updates for Jonathan Bridgman found in the Research Leads.

I'm afraid I cannot corroborate 100% that Jonathan (1742) or Jonathan (1789) were the pedigree of William (1812-1815) ... There just aren't enough documents on-line (esp. birth and mariage records to X-ref with mother's maiden name).

However, there seems to be a few Bridgman families living in the Moretonhampstead / Newton Abbot area at this time that are likely related. Specifically, in 1841 there is a Bovey Tracey listing for two "Bridgeman" families in the same house. These are Jonathan (52 -- so is likely the one from 1789) and Mary (54) have a 13yr old daughter Grace (William's sister?), and; "William" (41) married to Elizabeth (39) with children Mary (10), Jonathan (6) and , Anna (3). Could the Mary (10) be the same person living with Selina, Mary and William a few months later/before (which you thought might be William's sister)? Also, see below about William missing in 1851 -- this is the same family.

I can corroborate with more certainty almost all the rest of the details you have starting with William Bridgman (1815) and Mary Hill family (which I know are my relatives because of Selina).

While I have troubles finding Mary Hill (or her marriage to William - so how you got this would be nice to know), on Ancestry we've tracked all the entire family despite their various separations from 1841-1871 in each of the censuses. For instance, in 1861 we found Emma as a Servent living with another family (Germon) in Newton Abbot. Further, it appears that Mary died in 1854 (age 39 -- as we found a death record for Mary "Bridgment"). I derived this because the census lists William with the Family (as Bridgmon) in 1861 as a widower (as you indicated) and lists Mary in 1851 (three years earlier) with children at "Bridgment" but without William (also as you indicate). In 1851, I think I found William with his parents, Jonathan and Mary "Bridgeman", in Bovey Tracey (these are the same families living from the 1841 census, but with no "Grace"). Since all these families are within 10-20 miles of each other and the times of people coming and going making the pieces fit.

It becomes hard to track William after the children start to leave England (esp Selina with such a unique name). There is a William and Mary found in Ilsington in 1881, 1891 and 1901, but I'm not sure if William remaried or if they mistakenly list the Mary (perhaps the same one you mention in the 1841 Census as possibly his sister but is possibly his cousin). Ilsington is a small farming town, so I think it's hard to be another William Bridgman of the appropriate age (though Mary's age doesn't stay consistent in each of these censuses). So not 100% sure.

On to their children ...

With Selina's unique name it is easier to find the children in Canada. It is unclear what made the children consider coming to the "New World" but by looks of it (ie your website) there were lots of Bridgmans already settling in Canada. So perhaps they knew some family before coming toToronto.

Here is more information on Selina's family -- She had a daughter named Mary Ellan Harris (b. May 1871 per 1911 Census) and likely a granddaughter named Margaret Harris. Margaret is listed in Leonard Gordon's Estate Will from 1970 under the "Children of Jean Evans" (who is Margaret Jane Bridgman -- see below). Jean had no children so Gordon likely wanted to give her portion to his aunt's family.

Emma may have been married in 1864 (found a marriage record in Devon) but there is no listing of her husband so it's not possible to track her from this point on.

Jonathan, William and Ann all came to Toronto (in that order) within a few years of each other starting around 1870 to 1873, when all are listed on the marriage certificates for Ann and William who married their spouses on the same day in a joint ceremony.

William stayed in Toronto with his siblings for a number of years (as can be determined from local street listings) and worked as a Tobacco Salesman (merchant). Then William and Elizabeth moved to London (likely because it was getting cramped in Toronto with 3 kids) where he became a tobaconist at "The Tecumseh" Hotel in 1880.

There is one mistake on the website and that is that Ciselda is not from this family line. She is the daughter of another William Bridgman in Ontario as clearly seen by the family names and ages in the 1881 Census -- listed as "Cirelda".

In addition, I have a family picture in 1888 (which I can provide if you like for the page) showing William and Elizabeth with children William "James", Charles, "Jean" (as Margaret Jane called herself), "Will", Fred, and "Gordon" (apparently most of the children liked using their middle names Smile ). Edward had died at 6months and Verna was not yet born.

You have two of "James" children listed -- Helen Elizabeth m.??? to Crosley Walter Gale and William "Jack" m April 30, 1932 to Helen Elizabeth Brown. However, "James" actually had a third child, Robert James Bridgman (b. Nov 5, 1909) who married Margaret Alice Johnson (b. Feb 18, 1911) in June of 1936.

Charles Saunders Bridgman married Maida (not Maude) Helena McBroom who was literally the girl next door. My Grandmother Marion Elizabeth Bridgman (b. April 12, 1906 in Manitoba, m. Alabert Benfield b. Nov 30, 1911, and d. May 24, 1976 ) was their second child of three daughters. The other daughters were Margaret Helena (b. Oct 14, 1903 in NYC, NY, USA, m. and d. Nov 27, 1989) and Elinore Jean (b. May 27, 1910 in Manitoba, m. Watson Muter on Oct 17, 1936, and d. Aug 29, 1993). Charles and Maida settled down in Manitoba where he was an architect for many years but retired back to London.

(An interesting side note: my Grandmother was friends with Lester Pearson -- I have a letter from Lester Pearson on Prime Minister letter head to Charles on his 90th birthday where he mentions Marion. They likely met in Geneva when she was the secretary to Dr. Riddell who was the Canadian delegate to the League of Nations).

In the end what I'm most interested in is finding out how we all connect back in Devon England. Were Jonathon and Jonathon actually William's father and grandfather? Who were the Jonathons'parents and where did the name come from within Devon? Obviously the name is quite prevelent in the Devon area and they really seemed to like the names Jonathon and Willaim. I think I'm going to have to go to England to find out more. Cool But if you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

One last piece of irony ... totally by chance this Bridman line is having a Family Reunion this summer with as many descendants of William and Elizabeth and it just so happens that it will be in the Samuel de Champlain Provincial Park in Mattawa. It would be absolutely amazing if, in fact, we are actually related to him as your webpage indicates.

Kind Regards,
Drew
------------------
Andrew Harding Bridgman Benfield
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew

Thank you for your generous and enthusiastic postings. That's great that your 9 year old found it! LOL! Great story!

I have made the additions and corrections that you have mentioned above. Thank you for the additional information on your line.

I should clarify one thing before getting your hopes up too high: it is only the descendants of John Bridgman and E. Maria Bradt who are related, not to Champlain, but to his Indian translator. And this connection is via the Bradt ancestry, not the Bridgmans. Sorry to disappoint. Sad

Firstly we must acknowledge the very real possibility that your Bridgmans and ours may not be related to each other at all. That being said, the fact that yours also came from Devon and later moved to southern Ontario certainly caught my eye too and that's exactly why your family is listed under the Research Leads section.

I'll be totally honest, I'm afraid I simply don't have enough time to put too much effort into a family that only MIGHT be related. So I'll have to leave the bulk of the research on your family to you in the hope that you may find a connection somewhere up the tree. And if you find proof one way or the other regarding William's father, grandfather, and great-grandfather, please let me know and I'll update accordingly.

I think the best bet for determining a connection is via DNA research. Unfortunately DNA research can only be conducted on males from the primary line. That would mean you'd need to find a male Bridgman from your own family who is willing to be tested and I would have to find a male Bridgman from our family who is willing to be tested. The results of that test would confirm one way or the other whether these two Bridgman families share a common ancestor. More information on DNA testing can be found at www.familytreedna.com . (And yes, you're correct that you have to have five posting here before you can post a URL. Why? I don't know. It's built into the software and I have no control over it. Feel free to post three nonsense posts to get yourself to 5.) The testing is not cheap (about $160 US) but I've found the results can be worth the investment. I've done the test for my own Brown line and I would recommend it to any researcher.

Nobody from "my" Bridgman family has so far indicated interest in DNA, but I haven't really been pushing the issue either. If you are successful in finding a viable candidate from your own family I would certainly be willing to beat the bushes in this family to try to find one.

Sincerely
Ryk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum Index -> BRIDGMAN All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: