Stewarts of Balquhidder Forum IndexStewarts of Balquhidder
Genealogical Discussions for Clan Stewart of Balquhidder.
http://www.chuckspeed.com/balquhidder/balquhidder%20stewarts.html

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
New Glenfinglas Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stewarts of Balquhidder Forum Index -> Stewarts in Glenfinglas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: New Glenfinglas Info Reply with quote

Anne Danielson has been busy on our behalf copying and transcribing notes from the MacGregor Collection at the NAS. (This being the MacGregor Collection referenced in Mitchell's Monumental Inscriptions, not to be confused with our friend Gordon MacGregor.)

Anne emailed me with copies of the original petition of the tenants in Glenfinglas against the Dowager Countess of Moray in "the Glen Affair". I have posted these under "The Glen Affair" on our Glen Finglas page: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rykbrown/glenfinglas.htm

Also the following loose notes:

Quote:
Discharge David Stewart of his sallery as forrester 1743 ---I David Stewart forrester to the Right Honorabel the Earl of Moray in Glenfinglas Grant me to have received from James Maul factor to the said Earl the soume of one hundred pounds scots money in full payment of my forresters sallery, cropt seventeen hundred and fortie thrie years and hearby discharges the farming? as willness? my land at Doun the 29th day of March 1745 years.
(signed) Dav. Stewart

Quote:
Mr MacNaughton farmer at Inverlochlarig who married Miss McIntyre Iyhnabloir? His mother was a Stewart, a sister of Stewart in Auchnallader (an aunt) of Helen Muir Stewart – Dec. 27th 1925 - Information from Helen Muir Stewart

Quote:
Elizabeth Campbell, widow of John Campbell, son of John Campbell of Craigmundroch?, was the wife of John Stewart of Annat 19th June 1649 – Clan Campbell viii 312 According to Duncan Stewart p131 she was daughter to John Campbell of Kinloch.

Quote:
Allaster Stewart in Glenbuckie obliged himself to dispone to Duncan Campbell a bairns part of geis? Because the latter had given his protection to him his bairns and wife at Ilanran? 28th April 1586

Quote:
Catherine Drummond and Robert Stewart, she was mother to R Stewart an idiot and alimented him 1721 – 1751. In that year he succeeded Buchannan to Ardvorlich. (Norison’s Decisions No.46, p412, Vol.1 ) He died unmarried in 1760 – Dudurn Tombstone.

Quote:
Buchannan of Andunar? 1723 p.p. 44 45 –George Buchannan married Janet Stewart daughter to Andrew Stewart who had a beneficial Tack of the Lands of Blairgowrie and some other lands from the Earl of Moray in Straithgartney in the Parish of Callander. He was also Earls Baillie in these parts. That family is now represented by Alexander Stewart of Gartnafuaran in Balquhidder Parish as is with the families of Ardvorlich and Glenbuckie lineally descended from James Beg son to James Stewart, youngest son to Murdoch Duke of Albany and Governor of Scotland. James Beg was married to Annabella Buchannan daughter to Patrick, Laird of Buchannan as testifies a charter in his and Annabella’s farms of the land of Baldorrans in Stirlingshire in the reign of King James II.

Quote:
John Dow Stewart in Glenfinglas had two sons,- James and Alexander
James 1673 had a son named Alexander 1703 who married Mary Stewart and they had three sons –Robert Duncan and James.
Alexander who was father to Duncan Stewart in Lack 1676 and grandfather to John Stewart in Glenbuckie.

Thanks again Anne for all your had work! a_bravo a_bravo a_bravo a_goodjob a_goodjobson a_happyme rlp_smilie_242

Last edited by Ryk on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jared

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can identify the following extract:

Quote:
Buchannan of Andunar? 1723 p.p. 44 45 –George Buchannan married Janet Stewart daughter to Andrew Stewart who had a beneficial Tack of the Lands of Blairgowrie and some other lands from the Earl of Moray in Straithgartney in the Parish of Callander. He was also Earls Baillie in these parts. That family is now represented by Alexander Stewart of Gartnafuaran in Balquhidder Parish as is with the families of Ardvorlich and Glenbuckie lineally descended from James Beg son to James Stewart, youngest son to Murdoch Duke of Albany and Governor of Scotland. James Beg was married to Annabella Buchannan daughter to Patrick, Laird of Buchannan as testifies a charter in his and Annabella’s farms of the land of Baldorrans in Stirlingshire in the reign of King James II.

It comes from William Buchanan of Auchmar's 1723 genealogy of the Buchanans. Malcolm Gray first brought this quotation of Buchanan of Auchmar (cf. "Andunar") to our attention back on 19 Dec. 2005. Here's the quote that Malcolm sent us then:

Quote:
“George Buchanan 3rd in Auchmar, married in his brother’s lifetime Janet Stewart, daughter to Andrew Stewart, who had a beneficial tack [esteemed in these days, equivalent to heritage] of the lands of Blairgarie, and some other lands, from the Earl of Murray, in Strathgartney, and in the Parish of Callander; he was also the Earl’s Baillie in these parts. That family is now represented by Alexander Stewart of Gartnafuaroe in Balquhidder parish; and is, with the families of Ardvorlich and Glenbuckie, [from which are sprung most of the Stewarts in the southern parts of Perthshire] lineally descended of James Beg, or little James, son to James Stewart, youngest son to Murdoch, Duke of Albany, and governor of Scotland, James Beg was married to Annabella Buchanan, daughter to Patrick Laird of Buchanan, as testifies a charter, in his and the said Annabella’s favour, of the lands of Baldorrans in Stirlingshire, in the reign of King James II. I find also this James witness in a charter, by Isobel, Duchess of Albany and Countess of Lennox, of a testament of land in Drymen, in the year 1443, being designed in that charter the duchess's nephew. James’ successor was Walter Stewart of Baldorrans, as is clear by charter, in his favour, by Janet Boquhuanan, of a wadset-right the said Janet had upon a part of the lands of Straithyre, of date in the year 1528.”

malcolm the elder
Seanchaidh
Seanchaidh

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: David STEWART Reply with quote

Laughing I think I have found the baptism of David STEWART

1684; 19 April; ------------ STEWART to James STEWART and Elizabeth BUCHANAN of Ardvorlich, Wit. Dav. Murray? of Miln of C------ and James STEWART of Annat

such a pity the records were in such a bad state when the filming was done

The group that I transcribe for, will not do this, BUT, it would be nice if we could transcribe the Kilmadock and Callander Kirk Session Records
I enquired and found that they still exist

regards Malcolm
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm

This is an interesting discovery. It's definitely David Stewart. We already have the baptism, but not the witness. Can you double-check the name of the witness. There is no known person as James Stewart of Annat. If it's correct this could prove to be an interesting twist!

Thanks
Ryk
Belinda

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My transcription of this entry reads:
Kilmadock PR: Apr 9 1684 [blank] James Stewart and Elizabeth Buchanan of Ardvorlich. Wit: Geo Muschet of Miln of C & Alexr Stewart of Annat.

Belinda
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kilmadock PR: Apr 9 1684 [blank] James Stewart and Elizabeth Buchanan of Ardvorlich. Wit: Geo Muschet of Miln of C & Alexr Stewart of Annat.

Ah, thanks Belinda. That makes more sense.

Ryk
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this post got flagged again because it drew my attention back to the following above which I had previously overlooked:

Quote:
John Dow Stewart in Glenfinglas had two sons,- James and Alexander:
1. James 1673 had a son named Alexander 1703 who married Mary Stewart and they had three sons –Robert Duncan and James.
2. Alexander who was father to Duncan Stewart in Lack* 1676 and grandfather to John Stewart in Glenbuckie
*"Lack" could be a misreading of "tack" as in, "in the tack" or could be a misreading of "Luck" or "Luig". I suspect the former.

I've reformatted it slightly to make it clearer. The dates mentioned there are, I believe, testament dates, that is, death dates. As such, if we look at the second son, Alexander, we find that Alexander and his lineage matches perfectly with the main stem of Glenbuckie:
John Dubh Stewart, 6th of Glenbuckie, father of
Alexander Stewart, 7th of Glenbuckie, father of
Duncan Stewart, 8th of Glenbuckie, father of
John Stewart, 9th of Glenbuckie

This is a major breakthrough!

The "John Dubh" referred to here would John Dubh Mor, elder of the two John Dubh sons of Duncan 5th of Glenbuckie. I would infer too from this that the other references we have to "John Dubh", refer to this same John Dubh, unless they specify "John Dubh Beag", his illegitimate half-brother.

We had previously interpreted that it was John Dubh Beg who received the Glenbuckie portion of Glenfinglas for his roll in leading The Clearing of the Glen in 1620, but the above record would seem to refute that assumption and show that the main stem held onto the Glenfinglas tack through John Dubh Mor, and his eldest sons on down to John Stewart, 9th of Glenbuckie.

This changes our accounting of VI Branch - Clan Sliochd Walter nan Cliugh who is described as "brother german to Iain Dubh". We had previously presumed this reference was to Iain Dubh Beg, when it now appears to be a reference to Iain Dubh Mor. Thus Walter, the forester in Menteith, now appears to be a lawful son of Duncan 5th Glenbuckie, not a natural son.

This makes complete sense now as we pull back to look at the bigger picture, as we now see that we have lawful father and son fulfilling the rolls of Foresters on the north and south side of Loch Vennacher.

I haven't dug into this far enough yet to determine if it will affect our accounting of Branches III, IV, and V of Glenbuckie, but it could as we can now identify three generations of descendants from James Stewart, son of John Dubh Mor Stewart, 6th of Glenbuckie, and the last generation of this line is three brothers: Robert, Duncan and James all in Glenfinglas.
malcolm the elder
Seanchaidh
Seanchaidh

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Good Work Reply with quote

Ryk and Belinda Good work Embarassed my transcription I will check, Rolling Eyes when I can find the strip of film, again, this part of the film is not in Chronological order, seems like just odd pages filmed in any order
What a great break through Laughing
at the moment I am sure Belindas transcription is the true one;; There seem to be differences in the two films of Kilmadock I have # 102737
And its a different film to the one I used to Order, at The LDS when I was mobile.

Regards Malcolm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stewarts of Balquhidder Forum Index -> Stewarts in Glenfinglas All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: