Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum IndexRyk Brown's Genealogy Forum
For genealogical discussions of any family listed at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rykbrown/index.htm

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Helen May Stewart wife of Duncan Lochiel Cameron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum Index -> STEWART in Puslinch, Ontario, Canada (Incl. Hamilton and Bayham Twp.)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Val
Ancestors? My grandparents had parents?
Ancestors? My grandparents had parents?

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Helen May Stewart wife of Duncan Lochiel Cameron Reply with quote

Hello this is Valerie Stopanski from Rosetown, Sask., great great Granddaughter of Duncan (Lochiel) Cameron (c1818-1886) of Perthshire and his wife Helen May Stewart, sister to the Stewarts on lot 25 at Crieff

I haven't done any research for a long while, due to family and health issues, but I finally have a chance to do some more reading and searching.

I just recently discovered the Puslinch Township - History of the Knox Presbyterian Church,Crieff, Ontario (1840-1990) document. In this document it mentions that Duncan Cameron's sister Catherine Cameron (c1816-1904), married Donald Stewart of lot 20 rear Gore. I believe this Donald was the son of Alexander Stewart & Elizabeth MacGregor and also a brother to my Great Great Granndmother Helen May Cameron. Is that correct? Very weird this means that Duncan's sister Catherine was also his sister inlaw. Confused

If this is correct, I finally have the name of Duncan Lochiel Camerons parents. Very Happy According to your documenation of The Crieff Stewarts of
Puslinch Township, Wellington County, Ontario, Canada, Donald Stewart was b: 1 JUN 1808 in Killichanon, Fortingall, Perthshire, Scotland. He wer married before 1842 in Perthshire, Scotland to Catherine CAMERON. She was born 26 JUL 1812 in Perthshire, Scotland as the [b]daughter of Dugald and Catherine Cameron.[/b]

also wondering???????
My mother (Marion Cameron), says that there was a Donald Stewart who was related to Helen Stewart came out to Sask. around the same time that Robert Valens Cameron (son of Helen) did. Would you happen to know which Donald Stewart this was? I believe this Donald had daughters named - Ella Stewart who married a Mott and Elizabeth Stewart who married a Tordiff.

Have I managed to confuse you. I know I am completely confused.

Any information you may have, would be very useful.

Thank you for all the hard work you have put into your research and your website.

Val Stopanski
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie

Thank you for your message and for your interest in the project.

Quote:
I just recently discovered the Puslinch Township - History of the Knox Presbyterian Church,Crieff, Ontario (1840-1990) document. In this document it mentions that Duncan Cameron's sister Catherine Cameron (c1816-1904), married Donald Stewart of lot 20 rear Gore.

I must have missed that entry in reading through the History of Knox. If that's the case then, yes, this would be the correct Donald Stewart and it would appear that a sister and brother married a brother and sister -- not all that uncommon in that era or in new immigrant communities. Thank you for catching that. I will adjust the database accordingly.

However, there is one problem with such a connection. Duncan Locheil Cameron did not name any of his (known) children Dougald. The traditional naming patterns were followed quite religiously by folks from Perthshire even into the first generation after immigration. Thus we should expect to find Duncan's first son named Dugald, when it is actually Jack. Given that, as well as the fact that Duncan Locheil Cameron was was 36 years old when his first (known) child was born, it would suggest to me that Duncan and Helen either may have had an earlier son named Dugald who did not survive, or Duncan may have been previously married with a son from that marriage named Dugald, who presumably didn't survive.

Quote:
My mother (Marion Cameron), says that there was a Donald Stewart who was related to Helen Stewart came out to Sask. around the same time that Robert Valens Cameron (son of Helen) did. Would you happen to know which Donald Stewart this was? I believe this Donald had daughters named - Ella Stewart who married a Mott and Elizabeth Stewart who married a Tordiff.

I suspect it was probably Donald J. Stewart son of John Stewart and Elizabeth McPherson. John was a younger brother of Donald Stewart and an older brother of Helen May Stewart. Donald J Stewart moved to Saskatchewan and married Mary Booth. They had three (known) children: Mertel, Laura, and Douglas D. The girls names don't match your mother's recollection, but I suspect it's the same family. They later moved to British Columbia. I don't have much more on them as this project is primarily focussed on Puslinch and does not follow the descendants of the family once they leave Puslinch.

You also asked in your other posting if you were elligible to participate in my DNA study. I don't have a DNA study though I am participating in one and am associated with another. I am participating in the Brown Society study but you must have Brown as a surname to be elligible. I am also associated with the Stewarts of Balquhidder Study, but your Stewarts were from Fortingall, not Balquhidder, which would exclude you. Also, Y-DNA research can only be conducted on males, thus only men are eligible, and the results will only reveal information about their own direct paternal line.

I hope that information is helpful.

Slainte
Ryk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum Index -> STEWART in Puslinch, Ontario, Canada (Incl. Hamilton and Bayham Twp.) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: