Stewarts of Balquhidder Forum IndexStewarts of Balquhidder
Genealogical Discussions for Clan Stewart of Balquhidder.
http://www.chuckspeed.com/balquhidder/balquhidder%20stewarts.html

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Duncan Stewart 1623 - 1717 "Kilmadock - Banished MA Col
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stewarts of Balquhidder Forum Index -> Other Stewarts in Southern Perthshire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IReed
Bārd Beag
Bārd Beag

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Duncan Stewart 1623 - 1717 "Kilmadock - Banished MA Col Reply with quote

My family descends from Duncan Stewart who was born in "Kilmadock, Perth" abt 1623. He was transported to Ipswich, Massachusetts by 1649. He was enslaved and worked as a shipwright (?). He married Ann Winchurst (abt 1633 to 1729). They had 12 children including my forebear James Stewart (1664-1750).

The Stewart family relocated in the Fox Island area of Maine by the late 18th century.

I know little of Duncan Stewart or his family beyond his approximate birth date and birth place. Family tradition holds that he was banished as a prisoner in the Cromwell Wars.

I would like to hear from anyone who may be researching this particular family.

Sincerely,

Inez Reed
======================
The following section was clipped from another posting by Inez elsewhere on this forum and has been combined here in order to keep all posts for the same topic in the same place. - Ryk

Hi all - I would like to add as an after thought, family oral traditions hold that Duncan Stewart (abt 1623-1717) was the son of Duncan Stewart. The younger Duncan's mother was cited as either Helen Margaret Campbell or simply "Mrs. Stewart". I've seen odd references to a Stiubhart Stewart (Stuart Stewart?) as the father but that's one reference few of my loosely related kinsmen accept.

Although archival evidence suggests that he worked as a shipwright during his period of servitude, Duncan was later listed as a planter.

I have seen secondary references to a younger brother, Alexander. Alexander was born in Scotland around 1630 and died in Massachussetts around 1730.

Best wishes,

Inez
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inez

It's great to have another Canuck on board, and one who lives so close to me too!

I am very intrigued by your inquiry. If your Duncan came from Kilmadock parish in the 17th century then there's a very good chance he is one of ours. This is one of the very few cases we have documentation for, for a Stewart who immigrated to North America in the 17th century.

I really hope we are able to find your Duncan's family. However, I promise you that it will be very difficult. His departure predates parish records and he also left far too early to have been known by the author of Stewarts of the South and thus won't be discussed in that document.

I would be grateful if you could tell us everything you know about this Duncan and his children and his parents. The search begins.

I think we should offer a huge prize to the first person to figure out which family this Duncan descends from This will be quite a challenge!

Ryk

PS - I will also upgrade you to full membership so you can access all areas of the discussion forum.
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. - "Stiubhart" (or variations) is the Gaelic spelling of Stewart. I have never come across any case of it being used as a forename in any of our families. I suspect the references you found to "Stiubhart Stewart" were probably intended to be understood as "Stiubhart/Stewart." But if you want to provide the exact quotes I could offer a more informed opinion.
IReed
Bārd Beag
Bārd Beag

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Duncan Stewart, the exile Reply with quote

Hi Ryk - The dates that Duncan Stewart arrived in Massachusetts Colony are imprecise. There is some anecdotal information that indicated that he fought in the battle of Dunbar. This would indicate that he was transported some time later than 1649. I believe that I have a marriage date for him in MA.

My father always told us that this Duncan arrived in the Colonies "clapped in irons". It may be romantic drivel but it's a fate that many shared in Massachusetts ie sold into servitude to some planter.

I am in the process of locating primary and secondary documentation for his family. I will post this as soon as it's cobbled together. I don't have a website so any suggestions about formatting this material would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Inez
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted elsewhere and moved here:

Inez Reed wrote:
Hi again - the date I have is only an approximate date, abt 1653/1654 in Ipswich, MA. He married English woman Anne Winchurst (sp. variously also "Winchester"). Briefly, their eldest daughter, Jane was born in 1654. The birthdates of most of their twelve children unfortunately aren't very firm. I believe that the last of the children were born on or by 1671.

Regards,

Inez

Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inez Reed wrote:
I don't have a website so any suggestions about formatting this material would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need a web site. I presume you are using a genealogy computer program. If so, simply create a descendant report for Duncan, save it in RTF format and email it to me and I can have a look at it. Or, if you'd like it added to our site then I can forward it to Chuck and have it posted with our other family reports.

If you are not using any genealogy computer program then I highly recommend you look into one. Family Tree Maker is the most popular.
IReed
Bārd Beag
Bārd Beag

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Family Oral Traditions - Long Reply with quote

Hi Ryk - My great aunt Mairead passed on some interesting stories about our Stewart ancestry. She always spoke of Culloden as though it was a recent event in her life. She said that our Stewarts were highlanders. They were allied to but not born of the blood royal.

Her sister-in-law, my grandmother, descended from a Walter McFarlane who mustered out of the 74th Argyle Highlanders. Aunt Mairead always said that they were distantly related but she didn't know exactly how.

The 74th (Highland) Regiment of Foot, or "Argyle Highlanders" was raised by Colonel John Campbell, of Barbrick, a veteran of the old 78th, or Fraser Highlanders, of 1756-63. It served in Nova Scotia during the American War, and was distinguished by its defence of Penobscot against an American Squadron under Commodore Saltanstat. The flank companies were employed in Carolina. The regiment was disbanded at Stirling in 1783.

Colonel John Campbell's ties were to Barbreck and Auchindoun.

The Stewarts that were in that Reg't were said by my great aunt probably be "kissing kin". Among the Stewarts present when mustered out in NB were Lt. Duncan Stewart (11 in his family in 1784), Lieutenant Hugh Stewart (16 in his family) James Stuart (2 in his family).

Another group that settled there were from the North Carolina were under Lt. Colonel Allan Stewart (From Library and Archives Canada, Ward Chipman Papers, Muster Master General's Office - Loyalists Musters, 1776-1785: M.G. 23, D 1, Series I, Volume 24, page 179) Microfilm C-9818). There were many Stewarts and McRaes/McRa. The McRaes married into my McFarlane line.

This was the historic context when my direct Stewart line arrived in an area that would have been New Ireland (Hancock County Maine). Whether they are directly tied to the Stewarts that arrived late in New Brunswick remains to be seen. I don't believe in coincidence. They were drawn to the area partly for economic reasons and maybe by ties of kinship.

Best wishes,

Inez
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inez Reed via email wrote:
Regarding "traditions" Culloden is spoken of as if it were yesterday. A deep racial memory and hatred of the English mostly. I do have an interesting tidbit but don't know what to make of it. My great Aunt Mairead had told me that her Stewart ancestors were tied to but not of the blood royal. They were loosely "related" or allied to my great-grandmother McFarlane's people. They arrived in the maritimes in 1783 with a couple of Stewart families that are intermarried.

My mother's ancestors also came from that area and time period so eventually, I get some cross overs.

Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She always spoke of Culloden as though it was a recent event in her life. She said that our Stewarts were highlanders. They were allied to but not born of the blood royal.

If your Duncan is one of our Stewarts (which he probably is) then this description would be reasonably accurate. Although our Stewarts were not native Highland Gaels, they'd been settled in the Highland region of southern Perthshire since the mid-1400s and by the mid-1600s they were certainly fully absorbed into the local Gaelic Highland culture. Most of our Stewarts right up to the 19th century spoke Gaelic as their first language. They were also descended from King Robert Stewart through a bastard rebel line. This would roughly fit with an early 20th century description of "allied to but not born of the blood royal."

Quote:
my grandmother, descended from a Walter McFarlane who mustered out of the 74th Argyle Highlanders. Aunt Mairead always said that they were distantly related but she didn't know exactly how.

If Duncan is one of ours, then his origins would be Balquhidder. There were lots of McFarlanes in the areas of Balquhidder, Callander and Kilmadock. So it would be quite easy for Duncan to be related to Walter McFarlane.

Quote:
The Stewarts that were in that Reg't were said by my great aunt probably be "kissing kin".

I'm not familiar with that expression, but I presume it means "distantly related." I would be very reluctant to read too much into a 20th century suggestion that they were "probably" related. Just because they were in the same regiment and had the same surname is not sufficient to conclude that they were related. Though it's certainly worth keeping your eye out for the possibility.

Quote:
I don't believe in coincidence. They were drawn to the area partly for economic reasons and maybe by ties of kinship.

Again here I would be reluctant to read too much into proximity. Gaels immigrated from all over Scotland to many places in North America and beyond for a lot of reasons, including economics and kinship. But kinship could be just as easily maternal as paternal. And once they got here they tended to stick very closely to other Gaels, regardless of blood relationships. So, again, just because there were other Stewarts nearby is not sufficient to suggest they were related. But it's always worth keeping those possibilities open.

Quote:
Culloden is spoken of as if it were yesterday

Culloden post-dated the arrival of your Duncan in North America, and, indeed, occured long after he was dead, so the only connection to Culloden may have been through Duncan's children keeping in touch with relatives back home. But even that is speculative.

The most important items you've mentioned so far (in terms of identifying Duncan's ancestry) are his dates, the fact that he came from Kilmadock, and that you believe his father was also named Duncan. If you can tell me the sources of these bits of information that will be helpful.

Also, do you know the names of Duncan's children and their correct order of birth? Our Stewarts tended to follow traditional naming patterns quite religiously, but the trouble with dealing with families as old as yours is that we can never be sure we have the names of all the children or the right order.

Meanwhile I'm going to look through our data and start to make a list of families that Duncan may possibly have connected to and see if we can't start eliminating some and narrowing the field. The good thing is that the field was not outrageously huge as early as 1623!

But I want to renew my caution to be prepared for a long haul on this and the possibility that we may be unsuccessful. On the plus side, there probably isn't a person alive today who knows more about Stewarts from the Kilmadock area than the researchers in our group.
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inez Reed via email wrote:
The first leap into the maritimes from Maine came during years immediately following the Revolutionary War. The Reeds maintained ties with the Milliken family and later married into the community in or near St. Andrews. My grandfather Reed (descended from Duncan) married a Lowden whose ancestory goes back to Walter McFarlane (in company of Stewarts).

FWIW, the early church there was Greenock Presbyterian. The earliest minister was schooled in Scotland.

I'm a little confused here. Did one of Duncan's descendant lines move from Maine to Nova Scotia? I thought it was a different maternal line who were from Nova Scotia.

Greenock may be key or may be a red herring. Of course the best known Greenock was the port near Glasgow. It's most likely that the Greenock church was named after that port and has nothing to do with your Stewart origins. However, there is also a Greenock farm, near Torrie, just south of Callander in Perthshire. I believe it actually lies within the bounds of Callander parish, but it would be very close to the western edge of Kilmadock parish.
Belinda

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Inez

Kilmadock does have some early parish records (baptisms from 1623), although the information is minimal and the records are VERY hard to read. But there is a baptismal record for a Duncan Stewart, bapt in Kilmadock on 23 Aug 1629, father Duncan Stewart. This may or may not be your ancestor, and unfortunately there's no location given for him, so it doesn't take us any further back.

I looked for other Stewarts with a father Duncan in Kilmadock about then but couldn't find any contemporaries. There's a birth of Johne Stewart, son of Duncan Stewart, bapt there on 11 May 1651, which could refer to the same Duncan Stewart as the father previously mentioned. Then there's a gap with no Duncan Stewarts mentioned in Kilmadock until the 1670s.

I've got an ancestor named Duncan Stewart from Kilmadock too so I've looked for the name before. He was Duncan Stewart of Ballachallan, and his daughter Janet, was bapt 9 Feb 1670. This Duncan Stewart was born about 1633, but his father was John Stewart, 2nd Laird of Annat, so he wasn't the one born in 1629.

Belinda
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belinda

Inez just sent me a descendant report for Duncan and in her notes I see an alternate birthdate for Duncan being 23 AUG 1629 in Kilmadock. I've asked her what the source is of her family's belief that Duncan came from Kilmadock and that his father's name was Duncan. My fear is that some previous researcher in her family may have stumbled across that entry in the IGI and lept to the conclusion that it fits. I'm hoping there's a more substantial basis to the family tradition.

Ryk
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where could Duncan fit?

Let's assume for the moment that the tradition that Duncan came from Kilmadock and that his father's name was Duncan is solid.

I'm presuming Duncan's suggested birth date of 1623 is probably calculated from his gravestone as I see in Inez's notes: "died on 30 Aug 1717 in Newbury, Massachusetts at age 94." Let's give a variance of +/-5 years as a buffer. We've noted elsewhere that the average age for father's having their first child was about 30. Thus Duncan's father, also named Duncan, was probably born no later than about 1595 and easily as early as 1575. Let's call it 1585 +/-10.

Gordon's notes indicate one branch of Invernahyle that resided in Doune but I don't think they arrived there until the late 17th century at the very earliest. So, hopefully, we can safely exclude them.

Stewarts of the South seems to imply that the only other Stewarts in that area at that time were ours.

As such, is it safe for us to suggest that Duncan in Kilmadock is probably one of ours?

If so, then, a scan of the principal families reveals only a handful of possible places where he could attach to our tree. And I'll get to those in a moment because I just stumbled across something very interesting....
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick scan of trees submitted to Ancestry.com to see if anyone else is researching this Duncan and there are several. And I see some very interesting things:

1. Tree submitted by Anne Fincke, unsourced, shows:
    John Stewart (no dates), m Katherine Campbell
      1. Duncan Stuart, b 1595 in Glenagle, Scotland, d 1655 in Scotland, m Helen Margaret Campbell
        1. Duncan Stewart, b 23 AUG 1629 in Rowley, Essex, Massachusetts, USA (sic), d. 30 OCT 1717 in Rowley, Essex, Massachusetts, USA, m Ann Winchurst 1642-1729.
        2. Alexander Stewart, b. 1635 in Donegal, Ireland, d. 6 APR 1731 in Marlboro, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA.
        3. Robert Stewart, b. 1640 in Glenagle, Scotland, d. unkown.

Obviously the birth place for Duncan (1629) is a mistake and is just copied from his place of death. I've sent her an email inquiring about her sources. If the notation of "Glenagle" is correct then we could be onto something!

2. There are many other trees that include Duncan Stewart and Ann Winchurst but give no parents for Duncan.

3. Another tree submitted by Pauline Elaine Stewart shows similar to the preceding except that Duncan's brother's name is given as Robert Alan Stewart (1640-?), and Duncan Sr's father is given as Donald Stewart (1560 in Appin, d 1600), son of Alexander Stuart (b 1530 in Appin) and Margaret McDonald, son of Alan Stewart (b 1497 in Appin, d 1562) and "Locheil" (sic, this would be "Daughter of Cameron of Locheil"), etc...
This is the family of Invernahyle. The Donald Stewart mentioned here is Donald nan Ord Stewart, 2nd of Invernahyle, who did have a son named Duncan who was 3rd of Invernahyle and who remained in Scotland and had many descendants there, so clearly this tree is wrong.

4. There are multiple trees that repeat the erroneous ancestory of #3.

Interestingly, all these trees give Duncan's birth date as 1629, not 1623. I'd be curious to know where the 1629 date comes from.

Last edited by Ryk on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inez just sent me the following link for more info on Duncan's descendants:
http://www.weymouthtech.com/genealogy/ps47/ps47_451.htm

I'll have to post my candidates for Duncan's ancestral family tomorrow. It's getting late and I'm off to bed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stewarts of Balquhidder Forum Index -> Other Stewarts in Southern Perthshire All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: