Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum IndexRyk Brown's Genealogy Forum
For genealogical discussions of any family listed at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rykbrown/index.htm

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
McGruders were not McGregors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum Index -> DRUMMOND of Drummonderinoch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
don mcgruther
Ancestors? My grandparents had parents?
Ancestors? My grandparents had parents?

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: McGruders were not McGregors Reply with quote

Hi

I have researched the McGruther name for over 15 years. I note that the introduction gives the normally accepted version of the mcgruther ancestry - that it is from McGregor - but this has been proved to be a myth.

I mention this as the Drummond of Drummondearnoch story is bedevilled by this fiction. Indeed, far from the McGregors 'not killing another McGregor', Drummond of D's mother was actually a mcgruther.

Regards

Don
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[As this discussion pertains to the family of Drummond of Drummonderinoch, I am moving this discussion to the Drummonderinoch forum.]

Don,

Ah, so your "race is [NOT] royal"! Very well then! Thank you very much for taking the time to post your additional input on the murder of Drummonderinoch.

You are quite correct that Drummonderinoch's mother was a McGruther (of Meggar to be specific), not a MacGregor, as is correctly reported on my Drummonderinoch page. I make no claim that the MacGruders/MacGruthers were a branch of the Gregoraich. It is Richard T. MacGruder who makes that claim in his 1996 article. I am merely referencing his claim. (Though, now that you've raised it, I can see that distinction may not be clear the way I have phrased it. I'll rephrase that sentence to make it clearer.) The reality is that Richard T. MacGruder's argument simply doesn't hold water anyway. The fact that he is additionally in error on the relationship between the MacGregors and the MacGruders/MacGruthers only serves to futher discredit his argument.

I posted the refutation of Richard T. MacGruder's argument on my Drummonderinoch page because it appeared MacGruder was no longer maintaining his web site making it impossible to enter into any sort of discussion with him to challenge his claim. So his argument remained hanging out there in cyberspace unchallenged. I just checked this moment and it would now appear that MacGruder's site has been taken down. So perhaps he is withdrawing his previous claim, perhaps for all the reasons that you and I both raise.

As such, perhaps I could just removed the article on my Drummonderinoch page, but, as you say the revisionist claim that the MacGregors did not murder Drummonderinoch "bedevils" the Drummonderinoch story, so I think I'm inclined to leave it up there anyway. But I will add your additional argument that MacGruders and MacGregors were not related anyway.

Thanks again. If I can be of further assistance, please ask. Best of luck with your own ongoing MacGruder research.

Slainte an-drasda
Ryk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum Index -> DRUMMOND of Drummonderinoch All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: