Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum IndexRyk Brown's Genealogy Forum
For genealogical discussions of any family listed at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rykbrown/index.htm

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Robert Ord b: ABT 1822 in Berwickshire, Scotland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum Index -> ORD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cazzie S
Ancestors? My grandparents had parents?

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Robert Ord b: ABT 1822 in Berwickshire, Scotland Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if you have found any more information about Robert Ord b: ABT 1822 in Berwickshire, Scotland?
I have a Robert Ord who is my g,g grandfather. I have been trying to find the link back to England for him for years with no luck.

I do not have a true birth date for my Robert. The only way I can get an approximate date is to go by his age on his marriage certificate and death register. I get two different dates lol On the marriage certificate it reads he was 37 at the time he married my g,g grandmother in 1851 Tasmania and on his death register it reads he was 72 when he past away of old age in 1882 Tasmania.

My father was told a story when he was younger about Robert and he told me the same story. Robert came from Northumberland England, don't know where abouts though. He was told Robert wanted to distance himself from his family back in England. Reasons unknown. Dad was also told Robert had three brothers. As far as my father knew there was a relative living in Tasmania when Robert had arrived there. Once Robert had settled in, he went to visit that relative to touch bases with him and to let him know he was there. The visit didn't go to well, so Robert never went back again.

I tried checking passenger lists for Robert and came up with two or three but they said the name was Mr Ord, no christian name. So I guess Robert was trying to cover some track so to speak if the story my father was told was true lol.

Hope to hear back from you soon
Hugs Cazzzie Very Happy [/b]
Cazzie S

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back again lol
Sorry I should have asked this before Smile Would you have any more info on your Robert Ord in Australia? Robert ORD b: 24 OCT 1819 in Ednam, Roxburgh, Scotland.
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cazzie

I must caution you that you're at risk of some "wishful linking" here. Yes, it's possible that your Robert Ord could be either one of the two you mention above, but he could also be any Robert Ord in the world. The only way to know for sure is to find some evidence to indicate more accurately where and when he came from. The fact that there was another Ord family in Oz around that time does give some minor persuasive support to your suggestion, but it's still not enough to base a claim on.

Regarding the two Robert Ords in my database, no, I'm afraid we know nothing more about either of them. They could have died in infancy or moved to South Africa...or gone to Tazmania. It's impossible to say at this point.

The data on the Australian Ords was sent to me about a decade ago by Leckie Ord from Melbourne. However my contact information for her is no longer current so I can't get in touch with her. If you're a good detective you might be able to track her down over there as she was formerly the Mayor of Melbourne. But I have not had contact with her in several years.

Best of luck on your quest. Let me know if you find anything to help make the connection.

Ryk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum Index -> ORD All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: