Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum IndexRyk Brown's Genealogy Forum
For genealogical discussions of any family listed at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rykbrown/index.htm

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Mary Belyea 1802NB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum Index -> BELYEA (Bulyea)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSBelyeaArchibald
IGI Search Master
IGI Search Master

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Mary Belyea 1802NB Reply with quote

I am Mary Belyea's (b. 1802 in NB) 3rd great-grandson who married to David Archibald in Colchester Co, NS in abt 1820-1828.
I am looking for any help to find her lineage as there has been very little known about her as way of parentage as found in my Archibald line.

Thank you,
Dan
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan
Welcome to the group. Could you be more specific as to what information you are looking for. I'm not sure I understand your post. What lineage are you looking for?
Ryk
NSBelyeaArchibald
IGI Search Master
IGI Search Master

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Belyea Reply with quote

I am looking to find Mary Belyea's actual birthdate, place in NB and her parents and siblings info and their vitals and families. Besides her parents vitals also thier ancestors on both sides etc.

Thank you for any assistance,
Dan
SWOntario, Canada
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Thanks for your clarification. I understand now. So far as I am aware there was only one Belyea family in NB/NS at the time. That would be the following family:
Quote:
Hendrick Bulyea, United Empire Loyalist
Hendrick Bulyea, U.E., (also known by his English name, "Henry", whose last name was also rendered Beljee and Belyea) was born 20 APR 1720 in the Dutch community of Sleepy Hollow in Westchester County, New York, when New York was still a British colony. He married first on 24 NOV 1739 in New York Colony, British North America to Deborah Carpenter. She was born 1715 in Phillips Manor, Philipsburg, Westchester County, New York Colony, British North America. It has been suggested elsewhere that she was the daughter of Nathaniel CARPENTER and Abigail FOWLER, however this is disputed. It is believed that she was descended from earlier English immigrants, though her ancestry is uncertain and her birth family cannot be identified with confidence.

Henry and Deborah had four children before Deborah died (probably during childbirth).

1. John BELYEA b: 9 OCT 1739 in Tarrytown, New York Colony, British North America, who married Susannah SNIFFENS. They had descendants who I am presently not tracking.
2. Mary BELYEA b: 1741 who married Robert WILLIAMS. They had descendants who I am presently not tracking.
3. Judith BELYEA b: 1743 in Tarrytown, New York Colony, British North America who married John NICHOLS. It is believed that they had no children.
4. Joseph Carpenter BELYEA , U.E., b: 1746 in Phillips Manor, Phillipsburg, Tarrytown, Westchester County, New York Colony, British North America, whose story continues below.
After the death of Deborah Carpenter, Hendrick married secondly on MAR 1755 in Tarrytown, Westchester County, New York to Engeltje ("Angelica" in English) Storm. She was born ABT 20 JUN 1730 in Tarrytown, Westchester County, New York Colony, British North America as the daughter of Jan STORM and Rachael DE REVIER. Hendrick and Engeltje had a further nine children who are believed to have been born in Tarrytown. Many of these children had descendants, who are beyond the scope of my present research, but can be found presented in detail on Cleadie Barnett's Belyea website.

5. James Albert BELYEA b: 1755
6. Abraham BELYEA b: 1756
7. Deborah BELYEA b: 1756
8. Abraham BELYEA b: 1757
9. Lavinia BELYEA b: 1761
10. Thomas BELYEA b: 1762
11. Robert BELYEA b: 1765
12. Henry BELYEA b: 1770
13. William BELYEA b: 1771

At the time of the American Revolution the Boulier/Beljee/Belyea family fled to Canada. They settled in the area of New Brunswick, Canada that now bears their name, Bulyea Point -- the name now taking on a Franco-English spelling appropriate to that area of New Brunswick. At the time of their settlement the area was considered part of the colony of Nova Scotia, which was not subdivided into separate provinces until later. Henry Bulyea and his very large family are recorded as Loyalists and were given land grants on which to settle. They are recorded in one Nova Scotia history as one of the largest Loyalist families to have fled New York for Nova Scotia.

So, what you can be reasonably certain of is that your Mary would be the daughter of one of the sons listed above (or possibly the grand-daughter of one of the earlier sons).

But we should be able to narrow it down ever more. Cleadie Barnett's site tracks more of the descendants than I do. She does not show your Mary in her index at all. So, if we look for gaps in her accounting then we may be able to narrow it down to just a few possibilities.

By my reading of her data, I would see the following possibilities:

1. Mary Ann Belyea christened on 16 Mar 1810 in Gagetown, Queens Co., New Brunswick, daughter of John Belyea who was son of Joseph Carpenter Belyea. The age is off a bit, but it was not uncommon for children to be baptized years after they'd been born.

2. Mary Belyea, daughter of James Albert Belyea, born about 1787.
Quote:
She was christened 5 on 02 Aug 1795 in Gagetown, Queens Co., New Brunswick. She died in 1853. Mary married 4, 5 John Mc Donald-8726 1, 2, 3 son of Alexander Mc Donald-12681 and Rebecca Earle-12680 on 20 Feb 1823 in Queens Co., New Brunswick. John was born on 01 Mar 1777 in New York. He died before 20 Mar 1828.

Your Mary could fit as a second marriage for this Mary, especially given that her husband died about the same time as your Mary married. The date of birth doesn't match with yours, but it was not uncommon for women in that day to "modify" their ages.

3. Daughter of Abraham Belyea -- Abraham has 7 children betweenn 1786-1803. Mary could be an undocumented 8th.

4. Daughter of Thomas Belyea -- Thomas has 3 children between 1800-1803. Mary could easily fit here as an undocumented 4th child.

5. Daughter of Robert Belyea -- Robert has 5 children between 1793-1808 with a big gap between 1796-1803 where there are no children given. Mary could easily fit as an undocumented daughter in that gap.

This should hopefully narrow down your search a bit. You might want to look more deeply into each of these and see if you can find any connections.

Ryk
NSBelyeaArchibald
IGI Search Master
IGI Search Master

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Update on Mary Belyea Archibald... Reply with quote

I have just found Mary Belyea Archibald's death certificate...she died in 1874 in Halifax Co, NS at the age of 73 years, she was born in New Brunswick and now the big news....Her parents were listed....Henry and Rachel Belyea were her parents...
Hopefully this info will help me pinpoint how her parents tie into the Belyea family of NB finally...

Dan
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, then, most likely, that Mary's father was the Henry Belyea shown above as b 1770, son of Hendrick Bulyea. Henry Jr is shown on Cleadie's site as having married Mary Parks. They had a daughter Rachel M Belyea who is shown as having married in 1832 to Alexander Beckett. Alexander and Rachel only had three children which is an unusually small family for that era and would imply that, either one of them died, or that this was a second family for one or the other of them.

It was also very common in Germanic culture for people to be called by their middle names. So Rachel M. Belyea could easily be Rachel Mary Belyea.

As you haven't shared any information on the birthdates of David Archibald's children, then I can only guess that Mary may be the same person as "Rachel M. Belyea", daughter of Henry Belyea and Mary Parks, and that Mary Parks may actually have been Rachel Mary Parks or Mary Rachel Parks and that her daughter was named after her. And that Mary's marriage to David Archibald may have been a first marriage for her and that perhaps he died young and she married again in 1832? Does this fit with your notes?

If not, then it's possible that you've uncovered a previously unknown sibling line from Hendrick Bulyea, but I think that if such existed we might have stumbled on it sooner.

That's all I can do for now. Let me know if that fits for you.

Ryk
NSBelyeaArchibald
IGI Search Master
IGI Search Master

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Mary Belyea Archibald Family Reply with quote

Mary Belyea b. 1801 d. 8 Feb 1874 Middle Musquodobit, Halifax Co, NS (d/o Henry and Rachel Belyea). Married David Archibald abt 1820-1827 in Colchester Co, NS or possibly NB.
David and Mary had;
1) John b. Abt 1828 NS married and had 3 children.
2) Margaret b. 1830 NS married James Glencross Had 1 son 3 dau.
3) Martha Ann b. 1832 NS md in 1852 Robert Flake-2 sons 5 dau.
4) Hannah b. 1834 NS md Thomas Cole in 1854- 4 son 3 dau. (my 2nd great)
5) William b. 1836 NS married and moved to USA-1 dau.
6) Eliza b. 1838 NS.
7) Jane b. 1840 NS md in 1866 William Dickey-1 son.

I am trying to find Henry and Rachel Belyea who are the parents of the above Mary Belyea to find the branch she is from.
Thanks,
Dan
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Thanks for the additional info. That's helpful. Clearly your Henry Belyea is not the one I theorized above. I would say "congratulations" I think you may just have discovered a previously unknown branch of the Belyea family! This may take quite a bit of work to figure out the direct connection and we may need some assistance from someone with access to local NS records.

Ryk
NSBelyeaArchibald
IGI Search Master
IGI Search Master

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: New Branch in Nova Scotia Reply with quote

The NS archives records are online and you can view the actual documents and can be accessed through the Halifax County Genweb website. I also have a cousin in Halifax area who used to work for the archives who is going to get some info for me on my Cole line but I will see if he can help solve some of the mystery.
I did notice that Margaret Archibald (d/o David and Mary Belyea Archibald) who was born 1830 said she was born in New Brunswick. I am going to check her siblings to see how many others actually show NB on census records where they lived.
NSBelyeaArchibald
IGI Search Master
IGI Search Master

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Mary Belyea 1802NB Reply with quote

Hi All,

Mary Bulyea married David Archibald on 18 Jun 1825 in Sunbury Co, NB and both were from Burton.

Their first three children...John Henry was born in 1826, Margaret Price b. 1827 and Martha Ann b. 1830 were all baptised in Hampstead, Queens Co, NB in the Gagetown Anglican church.

Next born would be Hannah (my great-great grandmother) and likely born in NS in Halifax Co.

As reported early her parents were Henry and Rachael Bulyea and with above info I suspect they were from Queens or Sunbury County.

From Mary's death certificate in NS she was born abt 1800 or 1801 in NB.

Dan
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan
Thanks for the update. Are we any closer to figuring out how they tie in to the other Belyeas. Clearly they must.
Ryk
Pat_Fleck
Ancestors? My grandparents had parents?
Ancestors? My grandparents had parents?

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Mary Belyea Reply with quote

I also am descended from Mary Belyea and David Archibald. I'm hoping this thread is still "alive" as I have some specific questions and comments. Just joined the forum and this is serving as a test.
RykBrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat
I'm not actively pursuing the Belyeas at this time as I'm busy with some other branches of the tree. But please feel free to post your questions here and I'll have a look or see if anyone else has any comments.

Ryk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ryk Brown's Genealogy Forum Forum Index -> BELYEA (Bulyea) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: