Stewarts of Balquhidder Forum IndexStewarts of Balquhidder
Genealogical Discussions for Clan Stewart of Balquhidder.
http://www.chuckspeed.com/balquhidder/balquhidder%20stewarts.html

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Earl of Moray and the Stewarts of Balquhidder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stewarts of Balquhidder Forum Index -> Stewarts of Balquhidder Clan - General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Earl of Moray and the Stewarts of Balquhidder Reply with quote

I've always been curious about the connections between our Stewarts and the area of Moray. We have a handful of branches of our Stewarts who settled in Moray after the '45. We also have evidence of a handful of our Stewarts being prominently connected to the Hudson's Bay Company who drew many of their executive members from the Moray/Inverness area -- even pre-dating the '45. I've wondered why our Stewarts would have connections to this area? Was it simply the case of Jacobite soldiers settling in the Culloden area after the war? But what of those who were there before Culloden.

Then it hit me. The residence of the Stewart Earl of Moray was Doune Castle in Doune, Kincardine. He was also laird of Glenfinglas and most of Strathgartney -- which lands were thoroughly settled by our Stewarts, especially those from the Glenbuckie and Gartnafuaran families. His steward was Stewart of Ardvorlich -- covering all three of our main families. This provides a direct link between our families and Moray.

Does anybody know which side the Earl of Moray was on in the '45?
Belinda

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Earl of Moray took sides in the '45. He certainly wasn't at Culloden and he didn't suffer reprisals afterwards. He held Doune Castle but it was captured by Gregor McGregor for the Jacobites, which suggests that it had previously supported the Government forces. I think he probably kept his head down.

That may have been difficult, as he was the Laird of Glenfinglas and much of Strathgartney and some of his Stewart tenants were certainly involved. So was his neighbour the Earl of Perth who also owned land in Strathgartney. I know that a Stewart from Edralechach (probably my ancestor, the Black Serjant), was the standardbearer for the Earl of Perth's regiment in the '45 and the Earl of Perth had his lands confiscated after Culloden.

Belinda
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Stewart, son of James Stewart, 4th of Ardvorlich, was the Earl's Forrester in Glenfinglas and his father James was steward of Doune Castle on behalf of the Earl. James was dead by 1745 and it's unclear who succeeded him as Steward of Doune -- either his eldest son Robert, 5th Ardvorlich or his next son, David, Forrester of Glenfinglas. At any rate, it would appear that David was the one personally looking after Doune when the Jacobites arrived. David was a Jacobite and spent time in the tollbooth after the '45 for his participation. From what I understand he put up very little, if any, resistance when MacGregor and the Jacobites "captured" Doune. There is some suggestion that David's natural son, Donald, acted as MacGregor's deputy at Doune. Donald being the ancestor of Malcolm Sissons.

Sounds to me like the Earl was a politically prudent closet-Jacobite who didn't openly support the Jacobites but turned a blind eye to any Jacobite activities under his watch.
Anne Danielson
Bŕrd
Bŕrd

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryk,

After the Battle of Falkirk in January 1746, prisoners taken by the Jacobites were interned at Doune Castle. It had been seized by the Jocobites in 1745.

I have a book called "Jacobites of Perthshire" by Frances McDonnell and there is an entry for;

David Stewart, Major, of Ballahallan, parish of Callander, Lord George Murray's Regiment, Brother of Stewart of Ardvorlich "Collected his Majesty's Revenue" He was caught with six other refugees in a hut on the Braes of Leny. He put up a stiff fight, but was taken to Stirling, where he died of his wounds. The Prisoner's Roll shows that while in prison he was in hospital with a gunshot wound of the thigh and that a surgeon's fee of 6s. 8d. was paid for treating him. The evidence brought against him was that "he was seen at Dunblane dressed and armed like a rebel Highlander wearing a white Cockade. Others stated that he acted as rebel officer in taking possession of Castle Doune with a body of armed men." He was specially excepted from the Act of pardon of June 1747. Imprisoned 19 July 1746 Braes of Leny, 20 July 1746 Stirling Castle.

I don't know if this information will help you but I'll let you "whizzkids" work it out. I'm off on holiday tomorrow but when I get back I'll email you the list of all the Stewarts named in this book. There are 97 Stewarts but they are not all from southern Perthshire and the amount of information varies.

Anne
tankers
Gille Mór / Banoglach Mór

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Manuscript signed by James Stewart, Earl of Moray, in 1745. Reply with quote

Ryk,

This Manuscript was being auctioned.
I have recovered the description of the manuscript.
This rare document confirms James Stewart was in residence at Doune Castle in 1745. Having the Earls signature is enough in itself. In my opinion this article is a must for posting in the forum.

John Rae
Tankers.
tankers

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: MANUSCRIPT DESCRIPTION Reply with quote

Forgot to mention I have sent the document by e mail to you.

Regards,
John.
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: MANUSCRIPT DESCRIPTION Reply with quote

tankers wrote:
Forgot to mention I have sent the document by e mail to you.

Regards,
John.

John
The article you just sent me was a newspaper clipping about a tank from WWII. I don't see the connection. Did you by chance attach the wrong file?
Ryk
Ryk
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I got your second mailing. It makes much more sense.

This is an interesting article on the history of the Caddell pistols made in the village of Doune. It doesn't actually have anything to do with our Stewarts, nor even with the Stewart Earl of Moray, except that it was a document in his inventory. But for those who are interested in some background history on the area of Doune, it's a very interesting read. I will forward it to Chuck for posting on the main page.

Thanks for keep your eyes open for anything interesting.

Ryk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stewarts of Balquhidder Forum Index -> Stewarts of Balquhidder Clan - General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: